The John W. Hunter House, the oldest frame residence in Birmingham, is a rectangular one-and-one-half story front-gable Greek Revival house covered in clapboard siding, standing on a fieldstone foundation. John W. Hunter was one of the first settlers in the county. Hunter built a successful foundry and furnace, and manufactured farm tools. Carpenter George Taylor built this home for Hunter in 1822 to replace an earlier log structure. The façade features cornice returns, lintels, and pilasters, and is fronted by a single-flight staircase. A rectangular wing has been reconstructed at one side. The original house was constructed without nails and features unusual plank construction and interlocking floor planks. The house has been moved twice, undergone extensive alterations, and has been restored and maintained by the Birmingham Historical Society since 1970.
556 West Maple Road, Birmingham, MI 48009, USA